Mammoplasty – Reshape & Reduce Your Bust
Learn More About Breast Reduction Surgery
A breast reduction or reduction mammoplasty is a surgical enhancement procedure that modifies, reduces and reshapes breasts, enhancing the shape and form of the breasts.
Some women find the natural considerable size of their breasts to be uncomfortable and cause physical pain to the back, neck and other areas as well as cause emotional and social anxiety. Women with considerable sized breasts may also have to limit certain activities because of associated pain or anxiety. Women who take advantage of the breast reduction procedure find that they are able to lead a healthier, more comfortable life, with decreased pain in addition to enjoying a beautiful, more proportionate appearance.
Individuals considering a breast reduction to improve problem areas in the breasts may identify the following challenges, which might mean breast reduction surgery is the right choice for you to decrease size and enhance the overall shape of your breasts:
- Back, neck or shoulder pain caused by the weight of their breasts.
- Drooping or sagging of the breasts due to a loss of elasticity in the skin caused by the large size of the breasts.
- Disproportionate body frame attributed to oversized breasts.
- Restriction of physical activity due to the size and weight of the breasts.
- Painful bra strap marks and/or rashes as a result of large breasts.
Dr. Craft and your healthcare team will work with you to create an enhancement plan. Your enhancement plan will take your desires and identified problem areas into consideration and use the most effective and less-invasive techniques possible. Your enhancement team will identify the amount of tissue removal, incision areas, the length of the surgery and expected results and outcomes. There are two techniques commonly used to reduce the size of breasts:
Considerations & Procedure
Like all surgical procedures there are some important considerations prior to deciding on breast reduction surgery. Dr. Craft and your enhancement team may or may not recommend a mammogram prior to the surgery. Your team will work with you to recommend this test. Before deciding if breast reduction surgery is right for you, consider the following ideal candidate qualities:
- Women who have fully developed breasts. Breast reduction surgery is usually done for women who have passed puberty, generally twenty years old or over.
- Women who are not considering pregnancy. Pregnancy can drastically effect breast size and change the size and appearance of breasts. The results of breast reduction surgery generally last longer when performed on women not considering post- surgical pregnancy.
- Individuals with a body mass index that is below 35, and preferably less than 30. As the BMI increases, the complications post-surgery also increase.
- Individuals without co-morbidities or other factors that may impede healing post- surgery.
- Individuals who do not smoke.
Results & Outcomes
Of all plastic surgery procedures, breast reduction results in the swiftest noticeable body changes. Patients are immediately pleased with the elimination of physical pain caused by large breasts as well as a better proportioned body, an enhanced appearance, and better fitting clothes.
After surgery or liposuction, it takes your body time to heal and adjust to the breast lift procedure. The results post-surgery are not immediately noticeable, however, after a few weeks and once the swelling and bruising have diminished, you will notice your breasts are firmer, and lifted.
After two to three months, you will notice the end results of your breast lift with much firmer, elevated and more youthful appearing breasts. You will notice the results after liposuction much quicker, within two to three weeks.
One of the most considerable advantages reported by women post breast reduction is the almost immediate relief from pain associated with sizeable breasts. Chronic pain in the neck, back and shoulders is eliminated after breast reduction procedures. Women who have reduced their breast size through surgery or liposuction also report reduction in discomfort associated with bras, physical activities and daily live activities. Breast reduction surgery improves and enhances body symmetry and posture. Lastly, breast reduction surgery enhances self-confidence and diminishes anxiety associated with breasts.
Results & Outcomes
Ready to reveal your body's potential?
Book a Private Consultation
After a breast reduction surgery, post-operative instructions call for plenty rest and limited movement in order to speed up the healing process and recovery time.
- Bandages are applied right after surgery to aid the healing process and to minimize movement of the breasts.
- For the first few days, patients sometimes report pain associated with surgery which can be treated with oral medication.
- Pain and discomfort are generally only reported for the first day or two following the surgery and rapidly diminish.
- There may be some bruising and swelling following the surgery.
- Bruising and swelling may take up to three weeks to diminish.
Depending on the incisions, Dr. Craft will use surgical closure techniques to aid in incisional healing. Dr. Craft will give you instructions on providing an optimal environment for wound healing. The stitches will be removed shortly after the surgery depending on the procedure(s) involved. Your surgeon will give you instructions for follow-up appointments as necessary.
During recovery, patients generally must avoid heavy exercise or sporting activities for one to two months. Some patients report numbing of the nipples for one to two months following the surgery, however these symptoms generally diminish.
While complications are rare, patients can minimize potential problems by carefully following the postoperative directions given by the enhancement team. The recovery for breast reduction patients who choose liposuction depends on how extensive of a procedure the patient undergoes.
- A support garment may need to be worn for three to six weeks after the surgery.support garment may need to be worn for three to six weeks after the surgery. These garments can help prevent bruising and swelling.
- Patients sometimes report pain after the procedure. Commonly, the most pain is felt the first 48 hours following the procedure and slight pain may be reported for several months following the procedure. The pain can be treated effectively with oral medication.
- Although some results are apparent immediately following a liposuction procedure, for the first few weeks post-surgery, most patients report swelling and puffiness. These symptoms are gradually reduced and resolve within four to six weeks following the surgery.
Share With Friends