What Is A Capsular Contracture?
Learn More About Breast Augmentation Surgery
Capsular contracture is a scar formation issue which may develop in some cases after breast augmentation. When internal scar tissue creates a tight, thickened envelope around the breast implant, it tightens and contracts on the implant which causes it to feel firm and appear misshapen.
Every breast implant will naturally form a thin, durable scar capsule as an expected part of the healing process. Whether silicone or saline, scar tissue is the body’s natural protection which forms around any foreign object placed into the body. The thin capsule of tissue which forms around a breast implant will typically allow it to remain soft and natural-looking, but “contracture” or tightening of that capsule is classified as capsular contracture and not considered to be a normal outcome.
Most often, symptoms of capsular contracture such as discomfort, asymmetric firmness and breast shape distortion, usually will develop within the first 2 months of surgery. In fact, roughly 75% of cases develop in this early post operative phase. However, capsules may develop later than the first year.
Development of this complication without a known cause such as infection, hematoma or radiation, is known as silent capsular contracture. Many medical studies and analyses of data have led to theories about the possible triggers for this problem which include bleeding in the implant pocket and bacterial contamination.
Factors which are considered to be known risks include:
- Hematoma or seroma in the implant pocket, surrounding the implant.
- Autoimmune disorders, such as lupus
- Severe breast trauma
- Radiation therapy
- Oversized implant placement with inadequate tissue and healthy circulation surrounding it.
- Older style silicone implants leeching contents into breast implant pocket
- Infection in the body at the time of surgery or implant contamination
Many patients will be concerned that they have developed capsular contracture as they experience swollen, firm breasts in the initial weeks after breast augmentation surgery. Symptoms of capsular contracture development differ from normal swelling and pain in a few ways. Very high-riding and especially asymmetric high implant position which doesn’t begin to settle as the patient recovers could be cause for concern. Breast firmness is expected for a time after surgery, however breast firmness which increases after the first 10-14 days is not expected.
When one breast becomes more painful, tight or moves higher on the chest, this should be assessed in person by the Plastic Surgeon. Breasts which develop capsular contracture can appear very round and, “ball-like,” as well as rippled. Commonly, only one breast is affected.
The Baker grading system is the assessment guide used to measure the degree of capsular contracture. The system includes four levels:
- Grade I: At this stage, the breast is soft and appears natural. There is no cause for intervention.
- Grade II: At stage 2, the breast feels slightly firm, but looks normal.
- Grade III: The breast is firm to the touch, immovable and looks abnormal.
- Grade IV: The grade 3 CC breast is hard, feels painful and appears distorted.
There are only a few non-surgical treatments for capsular contracture. The only treatment that guarantees the condition won’t return is the permanent removal of the implants and surrounding scar tissue. Capsular contracture is one of the reasons that women opt for breast implant removal. Treatments for early stage capsular contracture development can include the use of sound waves to soften the breast, oral vitamin E supplementation and anti-inflammatory medications such as Accolate or Singulair. These interventions occasionally lead to reported reversal of symptoms and patient satisfaction.
If the problem has progressed and scar development is thick, uncomfortable and distorting aesthetic results, returning to the operating room for surgical scar tissue release or removal may be necessary. There are a number of precautions which can be taken by both surgeon and patient to reduce risks of developing this relatively rare complication. Placement of the breast implants partly under the pectoral muscles is believed to reduce rates of this complication. Preventative antibiotics are often given to the patient prior to and after surgery.
Breast implant massage in the early post op period was once mainstream practice and is not as common now. With newer, “bloodless” atraumatic surgical techniques designed to minimize bleeding during and after surgery, great care is taken to avoid bleeding in the breast pocket. Some surgeons advise gentle implant displacement maneuvers, others no patient intervention at all.
- Breast Augmentation in Miami: What Is The Difference Between Teardrop and Round Implants?
- 9 Things to do Before Your Breast Augmentation in Miami
- How to Correct Unbalanced Breasts With a Breast Augmentation in Miami?
- Breast Augmentation in Miami As A Gift
- Learn About the Fat Transfer Method for Your Breast Augmentation in Miami
- What You Should Wear After Your Breast Augmentation in Miami
- The Consultation Checklist For Your Breast Augmentation in Miami
- What Foods Can Help Your Recovery After A Breast Augmentation in Miami?
- Important Exercise Tips To Keep in Mind After Your Breast Augmentation in Miami
- 5 Steps You Need To Follow To Prepare For Your Breast Augmentation in Miami
- Five Tips For Buying New Bras After Your Breast Augmentation in Miami
- Breast Augmentation In Miami: New You For The New Year!
- Three Miami Breast Augmentation Trends You Need To Watch For This Year
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon In Miami This Holiday Season
- How To Recover From A Breast Augmentation In Miami Just In Time For The Holidays
- Can A Breast Augmentation In Miami Be A Great Gift Idea For The Holidays?
- The Pros Are Greater Than The Cons When Considering Breast Augmentation in Miami
- The Advantages Of Traveling To Miami For Your Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation In Miami: Do Saline Breast Implants Look Different Than Silicone?
- Why Is The Popularity Of Breast Augmentation In Miami Increasing?
- 5 Key Tips to Ensure you get the Miami Breast Enhancement of Your Dreams
- Reasons Miami Breast Enhancement is Always Trending
- Consider The Safest Miami Breast Enhancement Options
- Read This Before Planning a Miami Breast Enhancement
- Miami Plastic Surgeon Advice For Fast Breast Enhancement Recovery
- 7 Things You Might Be Surprised To Know About Miami Breast Augmentation
- Find Out Why Sunny Miami Is A Top Breast Augmentation Destination
- 3 Miami Breast Augmentation Secrets We’re Ready To Reveal
- Can You Keep Your Miami Breast Augmentation A Secret?
- When To Hit The Beach After Your Miami Breast Augmentation
- Miami Breast Augmentation Questions – Have You Asked Your Surgeon?
- Miami Breast Augmentation – The Truth About Healing Revealed
- Miami Breast Augmentation – Your Top 5 Reasons To Say Yes
- Miami Breast Augmentation – 3 Red Flags That Tell You To Find Another Surgeon
- What’s Different About Miami Breast Augmentation Today?
- The Newest Implants Create Natural-Looking Breast Augmentations In Miami
- Get Help With Choosing Your Miami Breast Augmentation Surgeon
- Creating Dream Cleavage In Miami: The Modern Breast Augmentation
- Can Your Miami Breast Augmentation Surgeon Answer These Important Questions?
- Your Miami Breast Augmentation Recovery Can Be A Breeze!
- 5 Little Known Facts About Miami Breast Augmentation
- Miami Breast Augmentation Sizing: Try This Simple DIY Trick At Home
- Top Breast Augmentation Incision Options To Know In Miami
- Miami Breast Augmentation Problems And How To Avoid Them
- Miami Breast Augmentation - Today’s Important Considerations
- Miami Breast Augmentation Remains the Cost Effective, Long Term Option
- What Is A Natural Looking Miami Breast Augmentation?
- When Is A Miami Breast Augmentation A Bad Idea?
- What Are The Steps During A Miami Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- How Long Does It Take To Look Great After A Miami Breast Augmentation?
- Miami Breast Augmentation: Which Size Is Right For You?
- Miami Breast Augmentation: Do’s And Don’ts
- Make Miami Breast Augmentation Recovery A Breeze With This Easy Prep
- Upcoming Trends In Miami Breast Augmentation
- The Miami Breast Augmentation Consultation Checklist
- Answers To The Top 3 Miami Breast Augmentation Questions
- Who Is A Good Candidate For Breast Augmentation Using Fat Transfer?
- Breast Augmentation Vs. Breast Lift
- How To Find The Best Surgeon For Breast Augmentation?
- How To Determine Which Breast Implants Are Best for You?
- What You Should Know About Life With Breast Implants
- Exercising After A Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Questions To Ask At Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
- Questions To Ask Your Breast Augmentation Surgeon
- How Long Does Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Last?
- Miami Breast Augmentation: Saline Versus Silicone Implants
- Miami Breast Augmentation Using Round Versus Shaped Implants
- Miami Breast Augmentation Using Fat Transfer
- Skin And Scar Care After Breast Augmentation In Miami
- The Differences Between Natural vs. Augmented Breast Enhancement Results
- Smaller Breast Implants Are On Trend
- What Breast Augmentation Surgery Will Not Do
- Healthy Tips For Breast Augmentation Recovery
- The Reasons People Choose To Undergo Surgery
- Breast Implants VS Breast Augmentation Using Fat | What’s The Better Option?
- The Best Sleeping Positions After Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Here Are The Different Breast Implant Options Available To You
- How Does the Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation Procedure Work?
- What Is A Capsular Contracture?
- Tips For Dealing With Unmet Plastic Surgery Expectations
- What Are Possible Risks And Complications Of Breast Fat Transfer?