What Are Possible Risks And Complications Of Breast Fat Transfer?
Learn More About Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation is an extremely popular cosmetic surgery procedure due to its ability to dramatically improve an individual’s appearance and confidence. There are two techniques used for breast augmentation: implants and fat transfers. Although breast implants are the more traditional approach, the use of fat grafts to transfer body fat to the breasts in order to enlarge or improve its projection, shape or form is quickly gaining popularity. As with any surgical procedure, there are associated risks and possible complications which are outlined below.
Although the use of fat grafts is minimally-invasive because it requires injections rather than surgical incisions, there are still some potential complications. These include the lack of structural integrity, formation of lumps, infection, development of fat or oil cysts, fat emboli, and mammogram interferences. Many of these complications are a result of the injection and placement techniques used by the plastic surgeon, which is why it is crucial to select a highly qualified, experienced physician.
One of the biggest problems with fat transfers in breast augmentation is the lack of structural integrity. Sometimes in large fat transfer cases, the breast may not accept the injected fat cells as predicted and consequently, additional materials may need to be inserted to help maintain the desired shape.
Fat Graft Complications
The formation of lumps after a fat graft breast augmentation is another common complication. It can be caused by many factors and its occurrence should be taken seriously. During this procedure, fat cells are collected from a donor site and processed as living tissue before being injected into the breasts. If this process is done incorrectly, the fat cells may not survive which can result in necrotic fat tissue that leads to an uneven contour on the breasts.
Fat or oil cysts can also develop when fat grafts are used for breast augmentation, although these usually develop in areas where breast tissue have been damaged. In general, after an injury, the body repairs the damaged breast tissue and replaces it with scar tissue. However, some fat cells may respond differently, becoming apoptotic and releasing their contents into the surrounding area to form an oil cyst. The newly formed cyst will lead to the development of a painless lump, causing surrounding skin to become thicker, red, and/or bruised. Luckily, oil cysts can easily be treated with a needle biopsy procedure to remove the fluid.
An extremely rare complication that can arise from breast augmentation with fat grafts is the development of a fat embolism. A fat embolism is when large amounts of fat droplets enter the bloodstream, potentially traveling to different areas of the body. Once again, this is rare and only caused by the use of superficial syringe liposuction during the breast augmentation procedure.
Overall, these risks and complications are uncommon if the breast augmentation and fat grafts are performed by qualified healthcare professionals. Any form of fat transfer in the body can lead to the development of lumps, so it is important to do regular radiological follow-ups to ensure that the lumps are not cancer-related. Early detection of these complications through radiology allows for effective treatment. For more information on the risks and complications of fat transfer breast augmentation, please schedule a private consultation with Dr. Craft to learn more about how to ensure that your surgery is a success.
- When To Hit The Beach After Your Miami Breast Augmentation
- Miami Breast Augmentation Questions – Have You Asked Your Surgeon?
- Miami Breast Augmentation – The Truth About Healing Revealed
- Miami Breast Augmentation – Your Top 5 Reasons To Say Yes
- Miami Breast Augmentation – 3 Red Flags That Tell You To Find Another Surgeon
- What’s Different About Miami Breast Augmentation Today?
- The Newest Implants Create Natural-Looking Breast Augmentations In Miami
- Get Help With Choosing Your Miami Breast Augmentation Surgeon
- Creating Dream Cleavage In Miami: The Modern Breast Augmentation
- Can Your Miami Breast Augmentation Surgeon Answer These Important Questions?
- Your Miami Breast Augmentation Recovery Can Be A Breeze!
- 5 Little Known Facts About Miami Breast Augmentation
- Miami Breast Augmentation Sizing: Try This Simple DIY Trick At Home
- Top Breast Augmentation Incision Options To Know In Miami
- Miami Breast Augmentation Problems And How To Avoid Them
- Miami Breast Augmentation - Today’s Important Considerations
- Miami Breast Augmentation Remains the Cost Effective, Long Term Option
- What Is A Natural Looking Miami Breast Augmentation?
- When Is A Miami Breast Augmentation A Bad Idea?
- What Are The Steps During A Miami Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- How Long Does It Take To Look Great After A Miami Breast Augmentation?
- Miami Breast Augmentation: Which Size Is Right For You?
- Miami Breast Augmentation: Do’s And Don’ts
- Make Miami Breast Augmentation Recovery A Breeze With This Easy Prep
- Upcoming Trends In Miami Breast Augmentation
- The Miami Breast Augmentation Consultation Checklist
- Answers To The Top 3 Miami Breast Augmentation Questions
- Who Is A Good Candidate For Breast Augmentation Using Fat Transfer?
- Breast Augmentation Vs. Breast Lift
- How To Find The Best Surgeon For Breast Augmentation?
- How To Determine Which Breast Implants Are Best for You?
- What You Should Know About Life With Breast Implants
- Exercising After A Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Questions To Ask At Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
- Questions To Ask Your Breast Augmentation Surgeon
- How Long Does Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Last?
- Miami Breast Augmentation: Saline Versus Silicone Implants
- Miami Breast Augmentation Using Round Versus Shaped Implants
- Miami Breast Augmentation Using Fat Transfer
- Skin And Scar Care After Breast Augmentation In Miami
- The Differences Between Natural vs. Augmented Breast Enhancement Results
- Smaller Breast Implants Are On Trend
- What Breast Augmentation Surgery Will Not Do
- Healthy Tips For Breast Augmentation Recovery
- The Reasons People Choose To Undergo Surgery
- Breast Implants VS Breast Augmentation Using Fat | What’s The Better Option?
- The Best Sleeping Positions After Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Here Are The Different Breast Implant Options Available To You
- How Does the Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation Procedure Work?
- What Is A Capsular Contracture?